Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Why I Joined The Junior League of Columbia: A Provisional's Perspective

If someone asked me why I joined the Junior League of Columbia three months ago, I would have said one thing: "My mom is in a league in my hometown and she wanted me to join." I suspect a few of the other provisionals and actives might have joined the league for the same or similar reason. But it's a true statement! My mother is a Sustainer in Florence, South Carolina, where I was born and raised. My mom, in fact, was President of her league when I was growing up. I distinctly remember listening to the women on her board laughing in the living room of our house during their meetings. These women ended up being some of my mother's best friends in town.

But, just over one month into my provisional year at the JLC, my answer has changed. Now, if someone asks me why I joined, here's what I'd say:

"Well, my mother was in the league, but I really enjoy being surrounded by other woman who share a vision to improve themselves and the greater community of Columbia."

This sounds very "sound-bite"-ish, I realize, but its true – so far, I've met fantastic woman from all over Columbia who are behind the League's vision, mission, and opportunities for us to grow. I hope that I can take this provisional year and really use it to my advantage – get active in various areas of the League to see how it all operates, ask questions, and figure out where I fit in with the Junior League of Columbia. I hope that everyone in the provisional class this year will be able to see the benefits and the joys of being involved with the League. In the short time I've been involved, my outlook has already changed! Plus, now I have some new friends to hang out with during the week.

By: Meggie Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment