Thursday, October 4, 2012

A Warm Welcome & Thoughtful Fellowship

Contributed by Megan Thorpe, Provisional


As a provisional, I am learning that Junior League meetings come in all shapes and sizes. Last night, I was welcomed into Carol Caulk’s home, along with a dozen other League members, for a time to share the ways we hope to grow through the Junior League of Columbia. The meeting was a wonderful balance of old and new members’ voices, and their passion for the people they helped over the years through service projects was moving.

We listened to more about the history of Junior League and many questions were answered about finding the place we fit in this large, but friendly, group. An account of a child picking out their first new pair of shoes or sending a hungry family home with food through the ABCDs program warmed my heart. From the awe and humor of offbeat donations for Clean Sweep to the grandiose task of decorating for Holiday Market, I was amazed at the hours and commitment demonstrated by the women around me. I was moved to learn that the League raises around $250,000 each year that goes right back into the community.

I would be remiss if I did not mention our facilitator Katie Crosby who helped us navigate questions big and small that we wondered about as the League’s newest members. She encouraged seasoned League members to offer their best stories and advice as well. We got to know more about where each member lives and works around the city, and we were privileged to witness the soul of volunteers who encouraged us to join them in service for our hometown.

After nearly an hour of sharing one-on-one and the graceful acceptance of suggestions from even the newest members on ways to improve the Junior League’s work, we jumped into to some fall-themed snacks.
 
After a long day, this time together was a sense of renewal and purpose for me – and excitement for the work to come as I adjust to my new city and serve alongside this formidable group of community leaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment