Tuesday, October 8, 2013

A Provisional's View

Submitted by Christy Snow, a Provisional Member, as a part of her series documenting her Provisional Year in the Junior League of Columbia

We are one month into the Provisional year with little time wasted. This month, I attended my first JLC meetings. The General Membership Meeting came first. Taking some wise advice from a member of our provisional committee, I decided not to enter my first meeting alone and opted to meet some girls for happy hour at Gervais and Vine beforehand. I met two other girls who I wouldn’t have known if JLC had not been in my life. As a side note, I knew the League would provide plenty of opportunities for community service and planned socials, but this little impromptu happy hour was an unexpected perk and I hope there will be many more to come!

Image courtesy of www.leanin.org
After a quick caravan over to Seawell’s, it was meeting time. As a professional meeting and event planner, I get overly excited about a well run meeting, and I could tell from the get-go that this was not JLC’s first rodeo. The food, drink tickets and strategically-placed volunteers made what could have been a very overwhelming meeting enjoyable. I was also overly excited about the opportunity for impulse purchases at the meeting, and now I am the proud owner of one discounted Holiday Market Preview Party ticket and one hardback copy of Sheryl Sandberg’s bestseller, Lean In, which is the first selection of JLC’s new Book Club that will meet later this month. I I enjoyed seeing an overview of everything that the League is focused on at this point and I am relieved that the meeting agenda is strictly followed at the meetings!

Fast forward two weeks and it was time for our first Provisional meeting. After a long workday, the Provisional Committee planned my all-time favorite meal – pizza and wine!, At the meeting, we learned a little more in detail of what was in store for this next year. The first is Holiday Market’s Preview Party. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t excited about my boyfriend dressed up in a tux walking around Christmas shopping with me all while sipping cocktails and listening to a fabulous band.

The second is our Provisional Project. This year, there are eight different projects that our group could be placed in:
·         Tree Decorating for Palmetto Children’s Hospital Festival of Trees and Junior League of Columbia’s Holiday Market
·         Sustainers Wrapping Project at Holiday Market
·         Sistercare: Valentine’s Day Party for Mothers and their Children
·         JLC’s Healthy Kids Fun Fair
·         Touch-A-Truck Project
·         Epworth Children’s Home Project
·         Salvation Army’s Christmas at the Fairgrounds

For all Sustainers reading this, I’m a skilled gift wrapper and bow tier so if I’m placed in the Sustainer gift wrapping project, you are in good hands!

The third is upcoming social events. The Provisional committee has really made it a focus to have our class of 117 women meet each other as much as possible all while serving the community in true JLC style. In fact, there is a social committee made up of Provisionals that is being organized to offer more casual opportunities to meet outside of League events. Shout out to Susan Wheeler who is heading  up this effort!

Meetings are a big time commitment your first year as I was told this time and time again before joining. While meetings are a time commitment, the information shared, friendships made and fun conversation had are so worthwhile.month, This fall is shaping up to be busy one personally and professionally, and  I’m thankful for my decision to join the League!


No comments:

Post a Comment